General Category > General Discussion

Remounting Jaws

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
George you should think about the peripheral speed of the jaws before increasing the speed.The jaws, like all other pieces that have been made for rotating machinery or cutting blocks are given that speed for a reason. Perhaps before exceeding the advised speed as recommended by the manufacturer which could be dangerous, you should try sharpening up your chisels. Oak cuts quite happily at 600 rpm with sharp tools.

bodrighywood:
On my little axminster I cranked the speed up once to see what it was at the top end. Never done it since as I can't see what you gain from going so fast amnd if something does go wrong it is far more dangerous. Rafrely go above 2000 for anything and most times closer to 1000.

Pete

seventhdevil:
they have restrictions???

i've had the axminster button jaws at 2000 rpm before with no trouble. mine are the 16" version not the 10" ones.

Paul Hannaby:
I think the speed limits on cole jaws are down to the centrifugal forces on the jaws themselves rather than anything to do with cutting speeds for the wood.

bodrighywood:
I am aware of that Paul, the point I was making is that I see no reason to exceed the recommended speed for any jaws, what is achieved by going faster? Possibly a second or two less time to turn the wood

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version