General Category > General Discussion

Myford ML8

<< < (2/3) > >>

henry:

--- Quote from: Derek on May 17, 2019, 02:13:20 PM ---With reference to the pulley slipping, I am not sure but on a record lathe there are two grub screws on top of the other in effect the top one is a locking screw so take the grub screw out and look to see if this lathe employs the same method of holding it.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, but looks to be just the one screw.

henry:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on May 17, 2019, 03:20:36 PM ---If you are searching for a flat on a shaft, take out the grub screw
get something that won't break or scratch the shaft that fits in the hole plastic knitting needle  is great.
Rest your finger on the end and turn the shaft. If there is a keyway you will feel it.

--- End quote ---

I did try this using a toothpick, but debris from where the grub screw had rubbed the shaft kept getting pulled up and moving it. I'll see if a magnet will clear the debris and give it another shot with something wider as you suggest.

Paul Hannaby:
If you can't get enough purchase on the pulley to lock the spindle, try another way to clamp the spindle such as mole grips. Without protection they will damage the spindle so wrap it with a piece of leather or something similar. It might also be worth trying to attach a lever to the faceplate so once you have clamped the spindle, a sudden whack with suitably large hammer will free the jammed thread. Just remember the outboard end unscrews clockwise!

Have you tried heat, penetrating fluid etc?

Mike313:
I'd have a go at heating the faceplate - as Paul has said - the faceplate will expand and 'loosen it's grip' on the thread . . . . . hopefully.

henry:
So far it's been given a dose of WD40 every day for about a week now, and I've tried various ways of clamping the shaft, all unsuccessful.

Not tried heat yet as the only tool I've got to hand to apply it with is a hair dryer, and I'm a little dubious that it would heat the face plate fast enough. Will give it a go at some point though.

Even with heat I'll need a way to secure the spindle. I've just noticed that the plastic bag of rusty metal that came with the lathe includes a thread adapter with a hex collar I can get a large spanner round.

So I could secure the spindle by screwing that on the inboard side and holding it. I'm worried I could I end up damaging the threads though.

Good idea or bad idea?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version