General Category > General Discussion

Question about bench-mounting a Lathe

<< < (2/2)

Twisted Trees:
Just a thought, because there are smaller air gaps, sand per cubic inch is heavier then scrap metal for ballast weight and easier to work with as well especially if you keep it in plastic bags.

Derek:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on May 17, 2019, 03:29:25 PM ---Just a thought, because there are smaller air gaps, sand per cubic inch is heavier then scrap metal for ballast weight and easier to work with as well especially if you keep it in plastic bags.

--- End quote ---

Also, scrape metal can be turned into cash to buy more tools ;)

John D Smith:

Hi Mike, I have a similar Axminster Lathe which I bolted to a bench I did put some thin 4mm rubber pads underneath the

feet to cushion  vibration my lathe the mounting holes were from the underside so I had to make a Template out of cardboard

to get the holes in the correct position on the bench (good use of some of the box it came in).

Regards John

Derwent Woodturning club:
As well as getting the height right for yourself, make sure you mount the lathe as close to the front of the bench as possible. All to often I see students who have mounted the lathe in the middle of the bench to evenly distribute the weight but this prevents them getting close to the work, thereby reducing tool control. It sounds a trivial thing but you will be surprised how often you get 'up close and personal' with your lathe.

Mike313:
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Bags of sand as ballast would certainly be more manageable.
I was planning to put a sheet of rubber pond liner under the base of the bench (which will have a flat bottom) to cushion vibration so good to hear that someone else did similar  ;)
The bench I have sketched up will have the lathe right at the front, with a recess at floor level along the front for feet and the sides of the bench will project to the front so as to be stable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version