Author Topic: What Finishes  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Cookster

• iron
What Finishes
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Hi All

I am new to woodturning and have just purchased a second hand lathe in the UK and tools etc, I live in Spain and need to get it shipped over I'm in the UK next week and need to get some finishes and abrasives to send with the lathe, I will be mainly using olive wood and only want basic stuff to start with as I'm on a bit of a budget what would you suggest I purchase?

Salud

Cookster

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: What Finishes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 02:24:04 PM »
Where about will you be when you are over?

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »
Norfolk then I have to transport the lathe and stuff to Coventry for a mate to bring over in his van

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »
why not use the opportunity to bring some olivewood with you?

plenty of people will be in line to buy it....

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
Yes so I'm told so much of it here mostly used for wood burners (estufas) in the winter I have 3 tons coming soon will cost around 200 euro and a friend is also getting me some free stuff, lovely wood very dense and heavy.

Cookster

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
What's it like to work with anyone had any experience with olive wood?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
Yes, I've used it.
Under a sharp tool with a good bevel contact it cuts beautifully, and leave a great finish, because of the oil content.

But use cutting tools, not the new scraper systems to get a good 'off the tool' finish.

Oh, and by the way, we don't like you anymore, 3 tonnes of Olive wood for €200, jealous or what!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
What's it like to work with anyone had any experience with olive wood?

turns beautifully and finishes well. the trick is getting it dry with no splits but in all honesty it is often quite rustic looking anyway due to the bark inclusions and other flaws in the wood.

personally i'd love a main stem (12-14") if one was available as i'd rough it out and core the whole lot and seal the wood and leave to dry very slowly.

Offline Cookster

• iron
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:52:46 PM »
Thanks so much for your advice and tops, I have some biggish lumps from last year which are black I reckon around 2 years old and one guy in the village told me he has some massive pieces I said I want it for turning not burning! he said I could go and pick what I want and pay accordingly but that was cut this year probably feb/mar and would be kept outside the weather is really hot now and hardly any rain this winter, be a good idea to get it before it really gets hot and store it in my garage/workshop.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 10:50:27 PM »
You import enough olive wood ypu could afford a really decent lathe plus  few extras.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities