General Category > General Discussion

Food Allergy Walnut Oil

(1/4) > >>

michaelb:
Some turners are using Walnut oil to finish bowls, and nut oil can cause Anaphylatic shock and in view of recent events in the sandwich shops of cross contamination and legislation has any one information as to using this oil as a finishing product.  There is very little information I can find,  some on the AAWT forum site has some.   Walnut Oil is 80% cheaper than "food safe" and can be bought in most supermarkets . Should these turners put a warning on the bowls if selling at craft fairs etc .

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Most professional turners will use a food safe oil and not Walnut oil. This is one of the reasons why if you sell your wares you should have public and products liability insurance.

bodrighywood:
The best food safe oils are those that you find in the kitchen such as rape, sunflower and sesame, etc You can however buy a proprietary food safe finish but I tend to use the 'kitchen' ones as most households have them. Don't use nut oils or olive oil, the latter goes rancid after a while. As John says, if you are selling your work or i fact even giving it away you will be legally responsible if there is any adverse reaction. Hence the 'May contain nuts' on peanut butter jars (though oddly peanuts aren't nuts) and the warning that the contents are hot on coffee cups at takeaways. Just pretend that common sense doesn't exist and play safe at all times.

Pete

Derek:
I use either the food safe oils or as Pete some of the oils found in the home. I avoid walnut oil and olive oil for the reasons already stated.

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on May 26, 2019, 09:10:14 AM ---Just pretend that common sense doesn't exist and play safe at all times.

Pete

--- End quote ---

Why pretend from the comments I hear from many of the youngsters it does not exist. ;D

seventhdevil:
can anyone find reports of this actually happening?

i don't sell anything for the kitchen but on occasion i've made the odd item like a chopping board and use danish oil which is a derivative of tung which is a nut so could people have a reaction to that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version