General Category > General Discussion

Finishing options

<< < (2/4) > >>

Vestas:
Thanks guys
There is so much to learn!

BrianH:
My advise would be to slow the lathe every time you change to a finer grade of abrasive and keep it moving in a different direction than that of travel. Personally I rarely go finer than 400 and use finishing oil to lubricate the finer grades.
Works for me......Hope that helps
Brian

Vestas:
Many thanks

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Vestas finishing wood can be a real minefield with a plethora of different techniques. I endorse what yashin has said about learning how to abrade properly. Remember that all the time you are abrading you are creating friction therefore warming the timber up and some timbers don't like that!!
I tend only to use the abrasives on their own when sanding as by using oil to lubricate (although that is an accepted method)it then dictates the finish you use. On bowls and stuff like that I tend to sand to no finer than 400g and apply a sealer, cut back with wire wool and apply a paste wax or Melamine finish.
On small boxes and pieces with delicate finials I may well abrade to 1200g and apply a finish of somesort and then 50/50 mix of carnauba and beeswax buffed up.
Experimentation will yield the best results for you.

bodrighywood:
|sk 10 turners a question and you will get 11 different answers LOL. seriously Johns last comment is the most valuable, experiment. Be aware of allergic proprties of oils etc and ( if you are like John and I) check out the basic, cheap alternatives as there are  lot of very costly variants that are just common products with a fancy name.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version