General Category > General Discussion

Catches with larger pieces

<< < (2/6) > >>

GBF:
This is something I have come across quite a lot and I think it is the main reason a lot of  would be Turners give up
Once they learn how to sharpen and profile their tools they are half way there but what happens is they struggle for a while and then think this is not for me and give up
Four times a year members of our club can come to my workshop at no cost for advise and the thing they are always struggling with is profiling and sharpening.As soon as they sort this out they are away and the quickest way is to have a day or two with a Pro turner.
There is a cost to having Tuition but it is money well spent as it is a short cut to learning.
It is also a pity Members dont put on their profile here where they come from because their might be somebody in their area that will give them a bit of help

Regards George

bodrighywood:
Have to agreee with George and Les. Truing up is fundamental and should be a basic skill and if you are having problems then you need hands on advice, any advise we give here or that you get fron=m say a video is of no comparicon to getting a bit of tuition or mentoring from an experienced turner.

Pete

Vestas:
Thanks all
Great advice. I’ve turned lots of bowls now and haven’t had an issue up to now. It’s only with this larger blank. The bowl gouge seems to have dont the trick but I was trying to use the roughing gauge initially which wasn’t working. I put a fingernail grind on the gouge and it’s working well now. The foot position advice is spot on Pete that helped me getting one sweep cut. I think I was standing to central to the piece. Thanks all.

GBF:
It is not a Roughing Gouge it is a Spindle Roughing Gouge and should never ever go near a Bowl only to be used on spindle work very very dangerous using it on a bowl.
You need to get some advise before you have an accident

Regards George

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: Vestas on June 04, 2019, 11:28:34 AM ---Thanks all
Great advice. I’ve turned lots of bowls now and haven’t had an issue up to now. It’s only with this larger blank. The bowl gouge seems to have dont the trick but I was trying to use the roughing gauge initially which wasn’t working. I put a fingernail grind on the gouge and it’s working well now. The foot position advice is spot on Pete that helped me getting one sweep cut. I think I was standing to central to the piece. Thanks all.

--- End quote ---

OK, one of the key bits of information you would have learned from a professional tutor is NEVER EVER use a roughing gouge on bowl's of any size.

The tang on a roughing gouge is a flat section, it is not suited to the stresses involved in cutting a bowl profile, and should only ever be used on spindle work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version