General Category > General Discussion

critiques

(1/10) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
I have been giving some thought to how best to critique turnings - both here on the forum and in person. Here are a few thoughts for discussion...

I think there is a need for anyone delivering a critique to do so sensitively so the maker isn't discouraged from having another go or from participating in future critiques. This doesn't mean you can't make negative statements but when doing so, perhaps put yourself in the shoes of the maker and ask yourself how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of the same statement and whether the same information can be conveyed in a more positive way.

I think it's also worth bearing in mind the circumstances around the creation of a piece - was it experimental? what was the maker's skill level? What else would influence how you critiqued the piece?

If we're honest, we can all benefit from hearing the thoughts of other makers and for self development, a critique may point out areas where further improvements could be made so I think we should be encourage forum users, club members etc. to ask for feedback. How can we best go about this?

The main areas I would consider are choice of wood / materials, shape, tooling, interaction of elements within the piece, finish and possibly function. Can you suggest other areas to look at?

Bryan Milham:
I agree with you Paul. And compared to some forums I've looked at I think we are fairly good at it on the whole.

Not every piece got's a 'Oh that's wonderful', but generally constructive criticism is offered, hopefully in a kindly way. Occasionally a short comment, without further explanation is offered, but I have noticed that when further thought is applied, the original comment was not meant in the manor it first appears.

Would be difficult to add a bulleted list of the main point of your post as a Sticky to the AWGB News & Announcements page along the lines of the Forum User Agreement?

David Buskell:
Paul,
there are a few articles giving guidance on critiques. Have a look at WT issue 297 which features some suggestions on critique for woodturners. The article also features two artists and their stories about critique.

John Plater also wrote a piece in WT302 on critique as well.

We have in Cheam Woodturners, just had a general discussion on critique and looked at various work by other turners. Members also had the opportunity to have their own work given a critique. Very interesting, I quite liked some of the comments/suggestions made about my own WIP piece.

Happy to offer assistance on this topic as both the AAW article in 2005 and the 2 WT pieces only cover a small part of the topic. I know there is a further piece awaiting publication which looks at critique from a different angle from previous articles.

BTW, I must thank all those woodturners who provided their thoughts for the WT297 article and especially to Ray Key for his thoughts on the topic.

michaelb:
I think it is difficult and probably an injustice to give a critiques on photographs of pieces with out seeing or holding the object. If you are critiquing a piece at a club as Paul says it it important to know the skill level or time being involved in turning but in saying that recently have seen a piece done by a novice that put a piece done by a professional demonstrator  to shame .....but again that's in the eye of the beholder .

BrianH:
unfortunately it is only those who take the matter seriously that will even bother to read articles and guidelines on a subject like this. They are already likely to be the thoughtful, 'Helpers'.  The 'Gushers' and the 'Stabbers' of this world will continue in their own merry way being no help to anybody, and even doing harm to some.
Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version