General Category > General Discussion

critiques

<< < (7/10) > >>

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on June 26, 2019, 03:37:04 PM ---I am blaming you for today's dog bowl with the paper thin base....  fire will be lit tonight. ;)

--- End quote ---

Don't burn it. Turn the bottom away altogether and you can use the part left in a variety of ways. Waste not want not LOL

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
 ;D ;D ;D You turned it not me!!

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on June 26, 2019, 05:53:35 PM --- ;D ;D ;D You turned it not me!!

--- End quote ---

I know  ;D today was just one of those days when it was just not cutting right, just amused me that I read your dog bowl comment, thought yep done that... then did it again today!  ::)

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on June 26, 2019, 09:08:20 AM ---My comments on critiques or posting images of work are this:-
In the unlikely event that images of a 3rd party are posted  no form of critique is acceptable, that person did not post their own work so you shouldn't post it either.
If you post images of your own work you should expect a critique whether you want it or not, if you do not want your work talked about don't post images of it.
If you feel the need to comment on another person's work do so politely, an abrupt one or two word answer is not acceptable in actual fact it is downright rude.
If you are serious about critiqueing work ,for everything that is pointed out to be wrong a positive or constructive comment should be left. So for instance instead of just telling someone they have turned a dog bowl (which we have all done in the past)tell the person that you prefer to see a "nice continuous curve which in fact is easier to produce rather than flat bottomed straight sided work." And I have to disagree with burywoodturners, yes it is not nice to have a piece looked at with no comments left but the old saying of"if you cannot say something nice say nothing at all" should stand. Some pieces beg a comment and others do not warrant it. If a piece does not attract comments it is then up to the person that posted it to ask for them (and then brace themselves!!)
Above all else, politeness costs nothing, if you cannot be polite do not bother commenting.

--- End quote ---

I find that comment somewhat harsh , A new timid turner would probably be put off by it , The AWGB art trying to promote woodturning not frighten people away .

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Not intended to be harsh, and apologies if it came over like that, what was probably lost in the translation was that your work will be critiqued but the critique should be constructive not destructive. But I stand by what I said, if you do not wish your work to be commented on don't post it, why else would you post an image of something you have made? If you took it to the pub to show your mates you would expect them to say something about it wouldn't you? On woodturning forums we are doing the same thing but hopefully from an educated and informed (and sober :D) perspective. But we should never lose sight of a persons length of experience so perhaps when an image is posted you should say how experienced you are at turning.(Although some will be able to tell just by looking at the turning)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version