General Category > General Discussion

Tool Rack ideas wanted.

<< < (3/3)

Twisted Trees:
Thanks Duncan,

I lined the walls of my workshop with 19mm ply, so it can just have things screwed to it, I don't think what I have built is the final design, it's OK but please keep the pictures coming it may inspire others as well as me.

Why is it when you have the perfect tool storage devised the tool manufacturers come up with a twist that changes the game? I took delivery of my new 114mm Evolution chuck today, beautifully made of high quality stainless, including the chuck key, which of course means it is not magnetic, can no longer be thrown into the magnetic tray on the headstock.... luckily I went a bit oversize on the toolpost cleat, so can drill another hole for it.

If anyone is interested all holes are 45mm some of my handles are over 40mm so I went bigger on everything, it is mostly made from scrap 19mm shuttering ply, though there are also some decking offcuts and a bit of old table top in there too.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I built my chisel rack from dowelling. Two racks, one above the other. The bottom one is set level and the dowels are close enough together to stop the bottom of the chisel handles dropping through. The top rack is set above the other but set at an angle, that way shorter chisels fit in one end and longer the other. The reason I made them from dowels was to reduce surface areas that shavings can sit on.

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on June 10, 2019, 02:51:47 PM ---I built my chisel rack from dowelling. Two racks, one above the other. The bottom one is set level and the dowels are close enough together to stop the bottom of the chisel handles dropping through. The top rack is set above the other but set at an angle, that way shorter chisels fit in one end and longer the other. The reason I made them from dowels was to reduce surface areas that shavings can sit on.

--- End quote ---

That is an excellent idea, much better if it's only the floor that needs cleaning up. Will keep that in mind for my Mk2 which is already in the planning stage... well I am thinking about it anyway  ;)

Tim Pettigrew:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on June 10, 2019, 02:51:47 PM ---I built my chisel rack from dowelling. Two racks, one above the other. The bottom one is set level and the dowels are close enough together to stop the bottom of the chisel handles dropping through. The top rack is set above the other but set at an angle, that way shorter chisels fit in one end and longer the other. The reason I made them from dowels was to reduce surface areas that shavings can sit on.

--- End quote ---
Any chance of a photo John?

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I will try to remember to take one tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version