General Category > General Discussion

Buffing system

(1/5) > >>

Sandy:
Your help please

I've a Beall buffing system which I bought several years ago at Harrogate but haven't used it that much really and certainly not for some time, mainly because it always flings strands of fibre from the wheels around the workshop - even though I've dressed the wheels as directed by Beall.

Anyway, I decided to get the kit out again yesterday and used it on around 15 items, a mixture of medium sized  bowls and small boxes. Once again, I got a good, pleasing finish on my items but I also got a workshop full of white fluff and fibre threads.

I'm wondering if I've 'over-dressed' the wheels as when I checked them at the end of use, the white diamond and wax wheels look to be the culprits.

Does anyone else have this problem or had and resolved it?  I've attached pics of the three wheels below.
Thanks

GBF:
Make sure you wear a dust mask you dont want to inhale that dust

Bryan Milham:
I don't use the Beal system but have a set of loose mops and stitched wheels.

But I do recognise the problem you describe, whenever I start a new one, there are lots of loose fibres that come off.

Think of the cloth as a piece of wood, it has Warp & Weft (like grain), it is then cut into a circle so there is short grain in 4 positions (2 Warp and 2 Weft) where the rotational speed will cause these fibres to detach and fly around.

Annoying yes, but it does stopm after a while, sooner if the wheel is loaded with it's respective compound.

Sandy:
Thanks GBF, yes I agree.  Always wearing eye and lung protection in the workshop is a definite must do for me anyway.  Since posting I've also vacuumed the workshop.

Thanks dr4g0nfly for your comments. I checked (online) the appearance of new mops against mine and the wax mop has definitely shredded excessively for the use it's had and I wouldn't have expected such fraying.  The Beall system does work well, it's just the shedding that's the problem and the amount of fluff and fibre shed this time round was more than when the mops were new and I 'bed them in'.  The tripoli mop doesn't seem to be an issue.  Also that's the mop that gets loaded with compound.  The other two are the ones that Beall recommend to load only very lightly.

The mess and discharge in the air and on surfaces puts me off using the system so I need to identify the issue, I guess I'll buy replacement white diamond and wax mops and and monitor condition.

Thanks again, I appreciate both of your comments.

Les Symonds:
I use the Chestnut system, which seems very similar, but I must admit that your photograph shows a very considerable degree of shedding of fibres and I've certainly not experienced anything like this much on my wheels. I suggest that you speak directly to your supplier, because this just doesn't look right!
Les

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version