General Category > General Discussion

Buffing system

<< < (3/5) > >>

bodrighywood:
I do run them at high speed with some woods as it rams the polish into the surface of the wood (by high I mean over 1000rpm) but have old ones that are well worn to do this. High speed with new ones will shred the surface of the cloth initially but as you use them the wax tends to impregnate the cloth and prevent that. I still think however the that the weave on those you have is far too open compared to my Chestnut ones. Just got some new ones and had a look, much tighter weave.

Pete

Sandy:
Hi BHT, Brian, Pete,

Thanks for your posts.  I run these 8" mops at around 1700rpm as that's what the Beall instructions state although I noted that Craft Supplies USA state 1500 rpm in a youtube video.  Yes, the weave on the wax mop has definitely opened up and I don't remember seeing it like that when I put it on the mandrel before use last Thursday, so assume that's the cause of a lot of the fluff and fibre that was everywhere when I had stopped polishing.

The W.Diamond mop looks like one further use would bring it close to the extent of fraying that the war mop has, but isn't at that stage yet.  But I know there was a substantial amount of fluff and fibre around when I'd finished using it prior to using the wax mop..

When running at 1700 rpm, the 8" mops do not distort much but will spread when the wood makes contact.

As I don't see W.Diamond or Wax residues on the respective mops,I'm wondering if I didn't apply sufficient to each mop to build up the initial layers when I first had them?  But then, last Thursday was the first time I've had such a problem with mess and damage to the mops.

I have a set of the small bowl mops which I used last Thursday as well and have experienced no problems with those.

Thanks again for info and advice.

bodrighywood:
Remember that the bigger the diameter the faster the outside of the mop is travelling. 1700 seems fast to me and personally I rarely go that fast. The mop would be solid with the chestnut system at that speed.

Pete

Sandy:
Thanks Pete.

I'll put it back on and run at 1700 rpm to check the 'stiffness factor'.

i'm loathe to use it again as it looks as though it's ready to totally breakdown - and I don't want another forced 'spring clean' of the workshop  :)   I'll discuss with The ToolPost later today.

otterbank:
Hi Sandy
I dress the new buffs by running a sharp edge of dry hard wood over the buffs then over load them with the compounds and re dress them. As Pete says once they are loaded they behave a bit better.
I never run them over 1300 revs and mostly around 1000. I’ve just broken in a white diamond one and it’s ok and will be starting a new tripoli shortly so will see how that one goes.
Cheers
Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version