General Category > General Discussion

ASny ideas on what timber might work for this?

(1/3) > >>

Bryan Milham:
Hi  folks,

A question to the Hive Mind on this forum. I've been asked to produce a pair of candlesticks but they are looking for some kind of wood that is relatively dark but rich - something that looks the colour of a newly dropped shiny conker.

Staining or wax is an option, but before I go down that route, can anyone think of a timber that might give me such a colour without.

Thanks.

Les Symonds:
I'd be leading with a nice piece of Burmese teak, or possibly heartwood of laburnum.
Les

willstewart:
A rosewood possibly, or brown oak (sold as such - oak that has had the right bracket fungus growing on it) might be nearest in hue.  http://www.lincolnshirewoodcraft.co.uk/ has some but so do others.  Ideally visit a timber place & choose! 

bodrighywood:
Sapele with a dark stain, touch of red in black can look like a dark mahogany. Rosewood is gorgeous if you can get it. Walnut is always an option as well. Ypu can get a really lovely deep finish on that if polished hard with a carnauba polish.

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
How about trying Utile? should be able to get some from commercial timber yards that supply the joinery industry. If you are in no hurry, at the end of the week I will eventually make it into my workshop where I may well have a piece at the back in the corner that has not seen the light of day since before the start of this millenium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version