General Category > General Discussion

how far do you grind your tools down???

<< < (2/5) > >>

burywoodturners:

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Wood spinner on July 04, 2019, 03:46:41 PM ---I would have binned them by now , Hardly any reach over the tool test
That will encourage you to keep the toolrest close to the work piece, and how many wodturners have only one of every thing?
Ron
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on July 04, 2019, 03:46:41 PM ---I would have binned them by now , Hardly any reach over the tool test

--- End quote ---

How much 'reach over the tool rest' do you want? Apart from hollowing and the inside of bowls the idea is to have the rest as close to the wood as is practical.

pete

Wood spinner:
Yes I get that but how do you hollow a vase or a deep bowl with the only one of each tool as shown  ???

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on July 05, 2019, 08:01:46 PM ---Yes I get that but how do you hollow a vase or a deep bowl with the only one of each tool as shown  ???

--- End quote ---

I assume that's not a serious question? The question asked isn't suggesting that these are his only ones but simply how far do we go before binning them. How short do they get before they cease to be of use.

Pete

seventhdevil:
Pete, that "is" my only 5/8" bowl gouge.

woodspinner, i get near 6" from the collar to the tip and have either a curved toolrest or just tip the end into the bottom of a bowl if it is a deep one.

i do not turn hollow forms and you do not use a bowl gouge for a vase. rarely will i make a small vase but for that i use a ring tool which is designed for such a task.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version