General Category > General Discussion

Damn fool!

(1/2) > >>

Les Symonds:
I'm two days into a three day artists' open studio event at Porthmadog, in North Wales. My venue is a major events centre on the harbour-side with steam engines chugging past us regularly; so a very pleasant place to spend a few days in the company of four other very talented people....one of whom is a scrimshaw artist, and you don't get many of them>

I'm demonstrating making small, quickly made items, as well as advertising for training and seeking commissions. One of the pieces that I have on display is the largest of the three ash canker pots that I recently showed in the gallery on this forum. Yesterday, a very well-to-do looking couple, with two young children in tow, walked up to my stand and upon seeing the ash canker pot, the elderly lady turned to the gentleman and said "That's banksia wood". Now, at a very considerable stretch of my imagination I can see a vague similarity between a banksia pod and an ash canker, but really, "..banksia wood"!

I guess that the lady saw a look of surprise on my face and said, rather sharply to me (at me) "Well, isn't it?". I didn't go into any great depth of explanation as I didn't want to embarrass her, but just simply said, "It's ash with extensive canker running through it". At which she turned and walked away, stating to the elderly gentleman, "Damn fool doesn't know what he's talking about"!

I've attached 2 images....my ash canker pot and a banksia pod. If I had an image of the timber of the banksia tree I'd attach that as well, but I haven't, and I've no idea what the stuff looks like (perhaps Steve can tell us)

Les

bodrighywood:
One of the joys of doing shows etc is that you meet all sorts. Just keep laughing .

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Just remember Les that everyone used to be a woodturner!! ;D ;D ;D

Duncan A:
I suspect that if you were to talk to her husband, he would confirm that she is always right!
Duncan

Mike313:
Les, there is a 'Banksia' image on this link-
https://exotichardwoodsukltd.com/wood-guide/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version