General Category > General Discussion

How do clubs need to respond in modern ‘Web’ era?

<< < (6/7) > >>

bodrighywood:
I am the opposite to John and find it hard to go up to people and chat though once I get going I lose my stop button LOL.

Pete

crazylegs:
As a relative newcomer to turning I think a lot of what is said is valid but for me the most important things in attracting new members are the times and locations of the meetings and the opportunity of beginners courses. I looked at joining several of my local(ish) clubs only to find the meeting were held at a time it was impossible for me to get to after work. I also enquired about tuition and got an extremely lacklustre response. I do understand we all can't be within a mile of the venue but why not have varied days. One month Tue, the next Sat then Sunday. Give the working people a look in. Why not hold beginners days at the weekend? New turners are the future members clubs need them.
As a result of my initial enquiries I did not join any. Its a shame as a bit of turning and a chat with like minded people would have been nice but there you go.

Paul Hannaby:
As I said farther up in this thread, clubs need to consider their opening times with regard to when people can attend and also need to think about how they can help newcomers to turning. The AWGB can help clubs with funding for training workshops, equipment etc. if they can't fund it all themselves and we have training material available too.

If you can't get anything from your local clubs, look out for the training courses on offer on the AWGB website and in Revolutions. There will be a few for the first part of next year coming out in the next quarter.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
In reply to the comments made by crazylegs. I can see the appeal of having meetings on different days and/or at different times but  a lot of this depends on when the venue is available. We use a church hall so Sundays are completely out for my club. The other thing to think of is the average age of members means it is easier to stick to a timetable so that everyone knows what and when without getting confused. It can get very confusing at times especially when ...........I forget where I was going with this! ;D ;D ;D see what I mean?

GBF:
We had difficulty finding a Venue and the only one available to us dictated our meeting days.
We meet on the last Wed of the month and that seems to suit our Members
http://www.burnham-on-sea-wtc.co.uk/

Regards George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version