General Category > General Discussion

Wood for Food

<< < (3/3)

John Plater:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on August 15, 2019, 07:29:59 AM ---According to Kew Gardens although Yew leaves are very toxic, and Yew bark contains lesser amounts of the toxin Yew timber does not contain any actual poison,

I'm not so sure about this one. Other sources from a simple google search suggest to the contrary. Unless a person commissions a yew piece I tend to steer clear. A day working with it will give me a blinding headache unless I cover up with long sleeves and gloves to prevent absorption and wear respiratory protection to lessen breathing the dust. Such a shame as it is a gorgeous timber !

Irrespective of the specie of timber used, any functional product intended for food use should also be perfectly sound and free of any imperfections which could harbour any gremlins. When I am asked at a craft show "Can I use it for...." I always say that I do not make a piece with any particular function in mind and always add the proviso that I cannot control how a piece might be used when the customer takes it away !
ATB John
--- End quote ---

michaelb:
I turn Yew on a regular basis never had a rash etc but always ware a respirator what ever wood I am turning and  especially sanding, however I do find oak gives me itch arms. My feeling is once wood is sealed and finished it is that comes into contact with whatever is put in the bowl . I think the public when they buy from us are aware that some are decorative pieces, some are useful for whatever they wish to do with it and others are practical.
We can get too hung up on our individual pieces, look at the stuff in the £1.oo shops they haven't a clue as the type of wood what finish etc

Paul Hannaby:
I think if you stick to woods which have been used for hundreds of years without known issues, you can be confident they are accepted as safe to use.= - fruit woods, sycamore, beech, ash, oak, olive maple, plane, birch etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version