General Category > General Discussion

Best wood for bowls?

<< < (2/2)

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on August 17, 2019, 06:12:45 PM ---there is no best wood for turning as everyone likes different things.

if you want an education and don't mind coming to slough at J7 of the M4 then i'll happily help you learn about more timbers than you will ever turn or most likely even see in your lifetime.

--- End quote ---

Well worth the visit, Seventhdevil supplied the cherry bowl blanks I brought back for you, he knows his timbers and has a very interesting collection to rummage through.

GBF:
More important than the wood you use is correctly profiled and sharpened tools combined with good Techniche.
Tuition from a professional Woodturner is a good start or failing that there is a very good book on Woodturning written by Mark Baker it also contains a 3 hour video  It is on Amazon and Titled Woodturning A Craftsman's Guide.

Regards George

Derwent Woodturning club:

--- Quote from: Vestas on August 17, 2019, 03:34:37 PM ---I had a real issue with a piece of lime today (first time using lime) with end grain that simply wouldn’t get any better despite the tools I tried etc.

--- End quote ---
Hi Vestas,
Along with the earlier replies, I just wonder from your comment, if you are turning a bowl from end grain, i.e. the wood fibres running parallel to the lathe bed. Although this can be done, if is not normal practise for bowls. For those, you use a blank with the fibres at right angles to the lathe bed. This means you have far fewer end grain areas to deal with.
I apologise if you were already aware of this but it is a common error made by many newcomers to turners, and the general public who think 'bowls are round, trees are round, so a bowl comes from a slice across the trunk'

Vestas:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on August 17, 2019, 06:12:45 PM ---there is no best wood for turning as everyone likes different things.

if you want an education and don't mind coming to slough at J7 of the M4 then i'll happily help you learn about more timbers than you will ever turn or most likely even see in your lifetime.

--- End quote ---

I may well take you up on that offer ! Many thanks

Vestas:

--- Quote from: Derwent Woodturning club on August 18, 2019, 09:30:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: Vestas on August 17, 2019, 03:34:37 PM ---I had a real issue with a piece of lime today (first time using lime) with end grain that simply wouldn’t get any better despite the tools I tried etc.

--- End quote ---
Hi Vestas,
Along with the earlier replies, I just wonder from your comment, if you are turning a bowl from end grain, i.e. the wood fibres running parallel to the lathe bed. Although this can be done, if is not normal practise for bowls. For those, you use a blank with the fibres at right angles to the lathe bed. This means you have far fewer end grain areas to deal with.
I apologise if you were already aware of this but it is a common error made by many newcomers to turners, and the general public who think 'bowls are round, trees are round, so a bowl comes from a slice across the trunk'

--- End quote ---
Hi Paul
Thanks for the advise but I’m past that bit on my wood turning journey - I have turned 100+ bowls now and have only had issues with a couple - the end grain on the two side of the blanks was really bad on this particular piece -

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version