General Category > General Discussion

Exotics

(1/8) > >>

GBF:
I have just been watching the news about the deforesting of the Amazon Rain Forests apparently it is at a rate of one football pitch a minute.
Somebody is buying this wood and it aint me.
I am not an eco nut but I do not see why anybody would buy exotics when we have plenty of beautiful woods in our own country.
I know somebody will justify it by saying I only buy sustainable certificated wood but how can you be sure that it is somebody is buying the stuff.

Regards George

bodrighywood:
At the moment deforestation is due to the fires which some say are deliberate. Main cause though is to access oil and minerals there and the wood is mostly burnt odd or used as scrap lumber. A small amount actually gets onto the marlet as timber for use which is arguably worse. Personally |I feel tha there re enough amazing timbers available from the Uk without having to resort to exotics.

Pete

Mike313:
George, I totally agree with you. Nothing else to add.

GBF:
I dont think that is strictly true Pete i was watching something about it recently and apparently they put in logging roads and remove thousands of tons of timber.
The authorities must know this is going on.

Regards George

Paul Hannaby:
By exotics I assume you mean imported wood? If not, what classes as exotic? We are offered wood from all over the world.

I don't think it's a simple as saying if we all stop buying / using wood from the rainforests, they will be safe. Nothing could be farther from the truth! Many rainforest areas are being cleared to make way for agriculture, mining etc. and the trees may just be burnt to clear the way.

One product that seems to crop up over and over again is palm oil. This is being produced in areas that were once rain forest so perhaps we would do more to protect the rainforest by not buying food products that contain palm oil?

There is also the argument that if nobody buys the timber, the trees have no value so they are cleared to make way for something which does produce an income. Not buying wood may actually harm the resources we are trying to protect...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version