General Category > General Discussion

Exotics

<< < (3/8) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
George if I wanted a nice black finial African blackwood, in my opinion , cannot be betttered. Yes you could turn it out of Boxwood and dye it or stain it  but to my eyes it will always look inferior to the real thing. I accepted that we should stop using Ivory in turnings as I do not wish for animals to die just to enhance a turning and there are now acceptable alternatives on the market, acceptable in price and in turnability, although some are still a bit of a challenge . The antiques industry (which I do work for)have also accepted alternative ivory so all is well there. But there is no credable alternative at the moment to Af Blackwood. When there is I may consider changing or as I said before, if my suppliers stop selling it I will not buy it. However I have to say that I treat it as a valueable commodity,it should be used sparingly and only on top quality pieces. Unlike one country which used to buy in Brazilian Mahogany to make shuttering plywood, the amount used in this country probably makes no difference. Also as Paul said if nobody buys the wood it has no value so might just aswell be burnt.

Twisted Trees:
I have to confess to having some exotics in my collection, though most of it is recovered salvage. 95% of the wood I turn is from UK sources, some of that is garden trees so maybe not a UK species.

I am guilty of exploiting the price point of Chinese plywood for my new workshop cabinets, low price has as much to do with the voids and paper thin layers, it is pretty shoddy product, I know that MDF is the same price, and made from sustainable woodwaste  but it is just not the same.

I think the impact of turners on imported woods is a fraction of the problem, Cheap imported timber products e.g. furniture is where most of it goes.

Derek:
95% of my wood stock is homegrown woods where trees have been removed and are going to be just burnt or taken to the skip. The rest are woods that are from woodturners who have had to stop turning for health reasons. These in many cases have got the original stickers on them dating back so long ago. I also recycle very old furniture made of solid wood more for model making.
I can't remember the last time I went to a turning supplier or anywhere else to buy exotics for my hobby come to think of it I can't even remember the last time I brought any wood including homegrown. Call me a cheapskate if you like but I love free wood. ;D ;D ;D

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
We all love free wood and I have my fair share of it. I also agree that woodturners, especially in this country do not contribute much to the destruction of the Amazon, although one tree taken illegally is enough. As long as the sources are protected ie certifiable stock as George mentioned I do not feel I am doing anything wrong. And yes I also agree that we cannot verify whether wood comes from a sustainable source or not but with FSC approval, Cites agreement and reputable companies , short of not buying any wood, which I think would be disasterous, we have done everything to ensure it comes from reliable people.

michaelb:
Looking at the definition of Exotic ..google thanks

Exotic lumber is a somewhat difficult term to define as lumber native to one global region may be considered to be exotic in another, making the definition location specific. Other than the natural occurrence of lumber species in any given location, there are no other specific characteristic traits that apply to exotic lumber.

So to my woodturning friends in Brazil I have some Exotic Yew, Laburnum and Magnolia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version