General Category > General Discussion

Exotics

<< < (7/8) > >>

GBF:
Twisted Trees has put it exactly as I meant it Thank you

Regards George

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on August 28, 2019, 10:04:52 PM ---If you look at the endangered species list ,the Cites list, African Blackwood is not listed.

--- End quote ---

No but it is regulated in its native country along with other woods.

Pete

Paul Hannaby:
Doesn't African Blackwood come under the rosewood family, which is controlled under CITES appendix 2.

George, your definition of "exotics" could include pine because it is imported from a number of countries - Canada, Scandinavian countries etc. Also Oak, which is imported from various countries, Ash etc etc.

A separate question - most if not all the UK suppliers of turning wood claim to source their timber from "managed resources". Do we take that at face value? Should we expect more of them in terms of ethics by only sourcing wood which is from sustainable sources? This would exclude those part worked blanks done to circumvent local restrictions and timber from trees which could never be described as sustainable because they take so long to grow!

Should we follow the lead of food producer and advertise "wood miles" for the things we make and sell?

GBF:
You are keep asking questions Paul lets turn it around and tell us what you think I think you all know my views

Regards George

michaelb:
Having spent 40 years in the food  industry it is impossible to give even approximate "food miles" the definition is below

A mile over which a food item is transported during the journey from producer to consumer, as a unit of measurement of the fuel used to transport it.

The key word in the definition is producer yes you can do it on fresh singe item fruit and veg but  not on any processed product

So the who is the producer the Logger, The Mill, or the producer of the blank or the person who turns the blank a and sells it at the local craft show.

Paul I am sorry but to even think of wood miles is crazy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version