General Category > General Discussion

4 stage pulley

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
This is a boot and braces fix.As the pulley is made from Aluminium you should be able to mount it on a lathe and turn it to diameter yourself.The keyway poses a problem but if you remove the keyway insert from the shaft you can then drill the pulley to take a couple of grubscrews which will then fit into the keyway giving you the same result. If I remember correctly a 1/4" bolt is a ton shear so 2 should be more than adequate.

Maca:
Thanks for the replies everyone.  The original motor burned out the run capacitor and when I replaced it it did the same with the new one within a short time.  It was overheating quickly too. 

So far I haven't had much luck sourcing a new pulley.  I have enquired about a pulley for a Graduate lathe, waiting to hear back on that but I'm also going to drop the pulley and motor off at a local machine shop tomorrow.  They're going to have a look and see what they can do.  Hopefully one of those options will materialise because the only other thing I can think of doing would be to put in variable speed so I could run it off a single stage pulley. At this moment in time I could not justify the expense of that so I would probably have to park this lathe up.

Twisted Trees:
I am sure the machine shop can help, small engineering shops bread and butter is converting imperial castings to metric motors.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
The other thing is source some good quality plywood and make one from that.

Maca:
Never thought of making one out of wood, in my head I'm thinking the keyway wouldn't last but it's not an option as the lathe is currently out of action anyway. 

The foreman at the machine shop said it shouldn't be a problem for them to do it, the keyway is a bit of a....insert expletive of your choice here...but otherwise shouldn't be a problem.  So hopefully I'll get that back next week and be up and running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version