General Category > General Discussion

Mystery chuck jaws?

<< < (3/5) > >>

crazylegs:
not sure what that is. Any pictures?

fuzzyturns:
The strange thing is that the circular recess on one side is in line with it's position on the jaws, i.e. it forms a ring. On the other side that recess is of a completely different diameter, and will only form segments of a ring if the jaws are wide, wide open. Doesn't make any sense to me.

crazylegs:
yes the narrower and in my mind the most likely to be the recess that fits to the chuck would mean the chuck would have to be open. The circular recess would then not be circular? I can see no way these could be used. My logic is telling me they can not work.
They are well made and appear to be of good quality and came with a job lot of jaws for a nova chuck. All the others are 'normal' these are the weird ones.

Woodcrafts:
Could they be adaptor plates to allow one make of jaws to be used on another manufacurers jaws, possibly to use Nova jaws, which have a raised fillet to fit in slots in the jaw carriers of a Nova chuck onto an Axminster chuck which has the raised fillet on the jaw carriers to engage in slots in the actual jaws? This would need the securing screw holes to be the same for each make of chuck so I may be completely wrong. But the shape and dept of the slot would not be sufficient to hold a piece of timber on their own.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Is it the photograph or is the large groove dovetail shaped?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version