General Category > General Discussion

What finish to apply over metal leaf?

(1/3) > >>

Percy:
As the topic subject suggests, I am hoping to get some advice for the best finish to go over the top of gold leaf to give it some protection. I have an idea to apply gold leaf to a few sections of an oak bowl, so want something that will give a non-shiny finish but will help seal the gold leaf. I was thinking of trying a spray lacquer, but I haven't used this stuff before, and other brush on lacquers I have used all seem a little glossy for the finish I was after. I normally used oil or wax finishes, but I don't think any of these will be right for the job. Anybody have any bright ideas?

bodrighywood:
You use a lacquer that is made for it. You can get it here If it dries shinier than you wish gently go over with a high grade abrasive .eg. 1200 or nyweb.

Pete

Percy:
Thanks Pete. Looks like that should work a treat. I'll post a photo up of the finished piece when/if it works out!

bodrighywood:
Are ylou doing the inside, outside or both?

Pete

Percy:
The gold leaf is to go onto a design on the rim of a bowl. In theory I could apply the lacquer to the rim and use another finish on the rest of the bowl, but I'm not sure this wouldn't look odd?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version