General Category > General Discussion

tutors map

<< < (3/3)

burywoodturners:
Thanks John, you have said it better than I could
Ron

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
You only get out what you put in. In the forces they always said never volunteer for anything, so I volunteered to join the mess committee, this got me out of some unpleasant work details and I was given the opportunity to try some delightful food. I volunteered to do a 16mm projectionist's course, once again against the advice of the old sweats. I showed films in the Sgt's and Officer's messes and received free beer for the priviledge. I started a local woodturning club and was given lifetime membership, I joined the AWGB and joined the committee and although I had to operate a camera I was given a better than ringside seat at the seminar free of charge. And I joined the RPT and was made chairman (that's not the bloke that puts the chairs out before each meeting  ;D ;D ) So volunteering your time and your effort now and then can reap rewards. But it can also be an enjoyable way to get to know interesting people and make new friends. And yes there is an element of putting back into the craft that has paid my wages for heaven knows how many years but there is more to it than that, helping with youth training means I am playing a (small) part in preserving the craft for the next generation. Taking part in competitions helps to showcase our craft to the uninitiated, stepping up to the mark makes life a bit easier for those that hold higher office in an organisation, you would want someone to step up when you are in charge so why want anything different when you are not?
Just my thoughts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version