General Category > General Discussion

tutors map

<< < (2/3) > >>

burywoodturners:
This reflects the problems with Memberships, treasurers and now web master, I think that these tasks are becoming too big for a volunteer. Is it not time to consider paid staff? Being a registered charity does not preclude this, the paid staff cannot be a Trustee.
Ron

Paul Hannaby:
I didn't know we had any trouble with treasurers? Jeff has been in that job for quite a few years now!

Many of our members already complain at having to pay £18 per year to be a member, if we hired people to do all the jobs we cover, the membership fee would probably increase ten-fold.

It's the same as any voluntary organisation - if just a small percentage of the members contributed a small amount of their time, we would be able to do so much more. We have over 3000 members and only 20 volunteers. Less than 1%!

Derek:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on September 20, 2019, 07:20:52 PM ---I didn't know we had any trouble with treasurers? Jeff has been in that job for quite a few years now!

Many of our members already complain at having to pay £18 per year to be a member, if we hired people to do all the jobs we cover, the membership fee would probably increase ten-fold.

It's the same as any voluntary organisation - if just a small percentage of the members contributed a small amount of their time, we would be able to do so much more. We have over 3000 members and only 20 volunteers. Less than 1%!

--- End quote ---

I think this is also the case for club members to committee members. I offered my services to a club I belong to but no one wanted to take my place after 14 years so I had to be harsh and state that was it. I now never put my hand up anymore. It may seem selfish but once bitten and all that.

wider:
thank you Paul Hanaby for your and others comments. it was just a query to the length of time it takes as I was at one point on the tutors list but then seamed to disappear from it.

John Plater:
I know that this thread has become broader than the initial post but I think it is an important one. I have stated previously how one can volunteer and then get dropped on from great height and then say never again. That was for me a negative aspect of wanting to get involved with the running of an organisation. There is a strong positive centred around accountability to employing people to do some of the tasks. If it is paid work then the membership can reasonably expect things to be done in a certain way and within a given timeframe. I might instance an organisation (of some 100 or so members who pay in excess of £100 per annum) which employs a treasurer/office manager, a publicity person and a web person. If the AWGB membership costs became higher to cover something along those lines, so be it. Realistically members get a lot for a relatively small outlay. It would mean that the organisation is able to function whilst leaving its membership to get on with whatever interest draws them to it and not spend their time supporting others' interest. That said, many people have their own reasons for wanting to volunteer, mainly I suspect through an altruistic "wanting to contribute" or maybe as an extension to their hobby/pastime/interest/profession.
ATB John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version