General Category > General Discussion

Tool rests

<< < (3/7) > >>

JollyJim:
Has anyone made toolposts/toolrests from hardwood ?

regards - Jim

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: JollyJim on October 09, 2019, 07:44:02 AM ---Has anyone made toolposts/toolrests from hardwood ?

regards - Jim

--- End quote ---

I made a temporary one for a lathe I used to have to do some long spindle work. Worked OK for the job but doubt it would have been any use long term.

Pete

Dancie:
Stiles and Bates make steel tool rests and, as far as I remember, will adjust the design and length to suit customers requirements

willstewart:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on October 08, 2019, 06:19:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: willstewart on October 08, 2019, 05:12:16 PM ---Thanks for the replies! 

This does tend to confirm the issue - yes one can re-dress the conventional tool rest, and sometime someone could produce one with a rod fixed on top, but meanwhile the rod version seems worth using for the moment.  I doubt it is very fragile (but anyone who has broken one please say!) - not only is it pretty thick & solid but also I think of the same material as the supporting post on the standard rest anyway.

--- End quote ---

there already is that option available to you.

look up Robust toolrests.
https://www.philironswoodturning.co.uk/lathes/robust-lathes/robust/68/robust-toolrest-price-list

you may think they are expensive but they are the best investment i've ever made.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Indeed not cheap but look ideal.  I may continue with my new (Axminster) single bar design for the moment and see how I get on.

I am not sure that I do anything particular to mark my old tool rest, though awkward shaped starting pieces like burrs must contribute.  I do not knock my tools on the rest to clear them! I more often use the lathe bed which does not seem to mark (but I tap quite lightly). I agree one can file off the ripples quite easily, albeit reducing the rest a bit each time, but this feels a bit Heath Robinson to me!

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: willstewart on October 09, 2019, 09:19:35 AM ---
but this feels a bit Heath Robinson to me!

--- End quote ---

A heck of a lot cheaper though LOL.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version