General Category > General Discussion

Tool rests

<< < (6/7) > >>

Lazurus:
As an aside, if your tool rest really is that soft maybe a length of 10mm or similar rod welded to the top may assist. Any fabricator or hobby welder should be able to make tool rest to your requirements, it quite a simple job with a mig or tig welder.

Mike313:
"As an aside, if your tool rest really is that soft maybe a length of 10mm or similar rod welded to the top may assist. Any fabricator or hobby welder should be able to make tool rest to your requirements, it quite a simple job with a mig or tig welder"

Do you think it might be necessary to grind the top flat afterwards to remove any deformation of the bar due to welding? My gut feeling is that a new tool rest made completely out of (let's say) 1" bar (or whatever diameter fits the banjo) would be easier and better?

Lazurus:
I do a bit of welding in both Mig and Tig and no I dont think deformation would be an issue in those sizes if welded correctly, the round bar could initially be tacked in place for you to try it and any alterations made before adding a few beads to make it more permanaent with either method.

Lazurus:
https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-lathe-tool-rest-7

Shows a home made rest using flat stock instead of bar - i quite like this one

Stew:
It would be little extra cost to switch the steel used to something hardenable if home making. For anyone that needs, I have an electric heat treat oven. .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version