General Category > General Discussion

African Blackwood

(1/3) > >>

Woodware500:
After sanding to a fine finish a small pot
in a mad moment I washed the piece in Acetone which has removed some or all of the surface
oils. It is definitely murky under the buffed (Beale system)finish
Does anyone have any suggestions.
I thought I could soak it in oil but what sort ?There is a lot of oil out there.
Liberon Tung , which has to be diluted with white spirit , not sure about that. Teak reviving oil, linseed,the list goes on.

Anyone ?

Jeff

bodrighywood:
I wouldn't use oil, not keen on them personally. Buff hard with tripoli wax then again with carnauba. Finish with a soft buff on a wheel.

Pete

John Plater:
If you want an oiled finish, my "go to" is a hard Wax Oil, usually OSMO Polyx Oil, 3032 clear satin. In my view it is a finish which leaves a piece of wood looking like a piece of wood.
ATB John

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: John Plater on October 16, 2019, 09:54:29 AM ---In my view it is a finish which leaves a piece of wood looking like a piece of wood.
ATB John

--- End quote ---

Interesting point there John, so many pieces I see in competitions etc. are so fine and glossy they take on a plastic appearance, and even more so become plastic to the touch as well. I like wood to look and importantly feel like wood, sometimes that means  putting up with the odd imperfection because it was grown not molded.

Wood spinner:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on October 16, 2019, 11:06:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: John Plater on October 16, 2019, 09:54:29 AM ---In my view it is a finish which leaves a piece of wood looking like a piece of wood.
ATB John

--- End quote ---

Interesting point there John, so many pieces I see in competitions etc. are so fine and glossy they take on a plastic appearance, and even more so become plastic to the touch as well. I like wood to look and importantly feel like wood, sometimes that means  putting up with the odd imperfection because it was grown not molded.

--- End quote ---

Probably due to the craze of Yourshire grit and YG micro fine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version