General Category > General Discussion

Headstock spindle (Turnstyler Slide Bed Lathe)

<< < (2/4) > >>

RLSK:
Thanks fuzzyturns
That would be most helpful but only when you have time.
Kind regards
Rob

Twisted Trees:
From my Axminster 1628

Shoulder 55mm diameter 10mm thick

Chuck mount shaft 30mm long

Plain un-threaded  section 33.9mm diameter 5.5mm long

Shoulder for reversing grub screws 28mm diamater 6.2mm long

Thread section

M33 32.6mm diameter 4mm thread pitch 22.2mm long

Docjohn:
Hi Rob
I too have a slidebed, when I ordered it Fred asked what chuck I was going to be using, then made a "flange" on the end of a spindle the chuck could be bolted on without the backplate. This enabled it to be used in forward and reveres with no fear of any unwinding, plus it reduced the overhang.
I had previously used a Myford ML8 so Fred made me a 2MT carrier and a spindle for a few bits I already had
Hope the pictures help
John

RLSK:
Thanks to Twisted Trees for that information and to Docjohn for the photos from your Turnstyler lathe, i also have a no 2 morse taper carrier. Not quite grasping the spindle you had made by Fred. Is it the one pictured alongside the mt carrier and is it held in the headstock just using the grub screw. I was thinking it would need to incorporate the threaded bar that passes through the headstock.
Kind regards
Rob

Docjohn:
I think each of his lathes were a bit different as the “evolved “ plus the chucking type that was specified
Mine has a shoulder inside the headstock spindle so the carrier/threaded spindle can’t go in too far (yes the one in the picture) it’s a snug fit so pulling it out I sometimes needed to tap it from the pulley end. The grub screw was just there to prevent any rotation and prevent the threaded spindle creeping forwards in use
I hope I’ve explained this well enough
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version