General Category > General Discussion

Woodwax 22

<< < (2/3) > >>

BrianH:
i use the mash-it-up with white spirit, no melting, no hassle.
Brian

Derek:
The easiest thing to use to help revive the wax is white spirit do not use cellulose thinners. If you ask Tery at Chestnut he will tell you the same the same applies to the guilt creams.
Add a little at a time until the consistancy is what it originally was.

iantivenan:

--- Quote from: Derek on November 23, 2019, 11:38:28 PM ---The easiest thing to use to help revive the wax is white spirit do not use cellulose thinners. If you ask Tery at Chestnut he will tell you the same the same applies to the guilt creams.
Add a little at a time until the consistancy is what it originally was.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Derek.
I think I will use white spirit, as my green gilt cream has gone brittle as well, might as well do both.
Thanks again.

julcle:
Hi - I will go along with Paul and Derek on this one as it's a question that comes up quite often on the Chestnut forum. Do not use cellulose Thinners as you will ruin the tin, use Turps and it should be fine. What I have done in the past is heat it up on the kitchen stove (you don't need much heat add a little turps and let it set, repeat if you haven't added enough a spoon full or two is probably all you will need.  - Julian

fuzzyturns:
julcle is right: you need to use turpentine. The best is proper gum turpentine which you can buy from any artists supply shop or online. Slowly heat up the tin in a bath of water (i.e. place it in a big pan with water) until the wax melts, gently stir in the turps and then let it set again. In order to get a creamy consistency you will need to add around 50% of the current wax volume. Less -> harder, more -> softer.
Cellulose thinner will most likely ruin your wax.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version