General Category > General Discussion

Red Pen Blank "wood"

<< < (3/3)

julcle:
Hi John/ Pete,  thanks for that, I didn't realise the long term breakdown of CA but in saying that I made a matching steering wheel boss and gear stick knob for a vintage car a couple of years ago and finished that in CA and I have to say that 4 years have gone by now and it's still the same as it was when made so will see how long it will be before I have to make another pair. I don't like Padauk either, a friend of mine makes Longbows from it and I have a few offcuts. I have done it now in acrylic and it looks fine, more importantly he is over the moon with it.   Julian

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: julcle on December 03, 2019, 12:15:40 PM ---Hi John/ Pete,  thanks for that, I didn't realise the long term breakdown of CA but in saying that I made a matching steering wheel boss and gear stick knob for a vintage car a couple of years ago and finished that in CA and I have to say that 4 years have gone by now and it's still the same as it was when made so will see how long it will be before I have to make another pair. I don't like Padauk either, a friend of mine makes Longbows from it and I have a few offcuts. I have done it now in acrylic and it looks fine, more importantly he is over the moon with it.   Julian

--- End quote ---

That is a better test than mine, I have made a set of xmas tree dangly things half in red ink with CA glue as a finish, the other half in gold leaf 10 years on the CA is still perfect, but they spend 11½ months a year in a box in the attic.

Have a play with the ink one day it is shellac based, and quite effective on various woods sort of cross between stain and paint!

bodrighywood:
Note that inks will fade in sunlight like watercolours. Mo uses them to do the decorated pieces and a gallery put one piece in the window with disastrous results. Not a happy wife.

Pete

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: bodrighywood on December 03, 2019, 02:01:44 PM ---Note that inks will fade in sunlight like watercolours. Mo uses them to do the decorated pieces and a gallery put one piece in the window with disastrous results. Not a happy wife.

Pete

--- End quote ---

It does depend on the ink, which is why I specified the Windsor & Newton one. they were in turn recommended to me by a friend who is a chemist for Hewlett Packard, makes the inkjet inks for them, there is a lot of chemistry and a lot of variety involved. Some inks are designed to get darker with age and last thousands of years, others fade completely in any environment.

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on December 03, 2019, 05:27:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: bodrighywood on December 03, 2019, 02:01:44 PM ---Note that inks will fade in sunlight like watercolours. Mo uses them to do the decorated pieces and a gallery put one piece in the window with disastrous results. Not a happy wife.

Pete

--- End quote ---

It does depend on the ink, which is why I specified the Windsor & Newton one. they were in turn recommended to me by a friend who is a chemist for Hewlett Packard, makes the inkjet inks for them, there is a lot of chemistry and a lot of variety involved. Some inks are designed to get darker with age and last thousands of years, others fade completely in any environment.

--- End quote ---

Windsor and Newton are the ones Mo uses and they do fade in sunlight. I could show you a bowl that we can't sell thankjs to the gallery putting it in a window.  There is no protective coating or type of ink that will prevent this happenning. Trust me we have researched this a lot, we (Mo) does a lot of this work. If you find an ink that claims to be UV resistant we would be glad to hear about it LOL.
Printing inks such as used by HP may be different but they tend to be very thick and difficult to work with I should imagine. Also they are the most expensive liquid on earth LOL.
#Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version