General Category > General Discussion

Tool rack

<< < (2/4) > >>

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: David Holden on November 27, 2019, 10:03:30 PM ---Thanks for your replies, looks like I'll have to have a go at making my own then!

--- End quote ---

Don't forget to leave room for tools you haven't got yet, and screw up one joint a little bit so when it is full you can use the bad joint as an excuse to make another rack with just a little extra capacity ;-)

julcle:
The important thing David is to enjoy your workshop time whether it's flat work or round. At the end of the day the tool rack will be tailored to your own needs in your own space. Oh and welcome to the Forum as well  :)    --  Julian

burywoodturners:
OK lets help David a bit.
What are the essentials of a god tool rack, one that does no damage to the stored tool edges , what will you add?

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: burywoodturners on November 28, 2019, 05:25:47 PM ---OK lets help David a bit.
What are the essentials of a good tool rack, one that does no damage to the stored tool edges , what will you add?

--- End quote ---

* Tool lean angle needs to be enough hold them secure with just gravity unless you use magnets
* Spacing should allow easy pickup of tool without knocking the tool next to it
* Sharp ends should be held in the air away from any contact
* It is better if dust is not collected on or in the toolrack
* There should at least 10% more capacity than the tools you own
* There must be a flaw that can be used as an excuse to build a bigger one should that 10% get filled

Mike313:
One consideration is - how many woodturning tools do you need? :) I only have about a dozen and some are rarely used.
Another consideration is where you put the toolrack. I've seen lots of photos of tools mounted on the wall behind a lathe. It always seems to me that this is potentially dangerous to reach across a lathe when it is in motion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version