General Category > General Discussion

Resin for cracks

(1/3) > >>

Maca:
I've made a couple of small bowls from some cherry which was cut in the spring of this year.  Even though there were no cracks in the blank, when I started turning the outside I could see cracks but decided to continue to finish them.  I left the walls a bit thicker than initially planned just because I was worried they would come apart on the lathe.

Anyway, as the wood was only partially dry the cracks have opened up a bit more, they are about 1-2mm at worst.  They haven't lengthened though so the photo attached shows the length but they are a bit wider than they look here. 

I don't mind the cracks but these are being given to a relative who asked if they could be filled so because I've never used resin before I want to ask the group for advice on good brands of resin and best way to apply it.  I don't have a pressure pot which I've seen a lot of people use and don't intend getting one.

Thanks in advance.

bodrighywood:
I never use resin, I use various metal and glass powders and very thin industrial super glue. Fill the crack with the powder, in layers, each time dropping some of the glue in. Build up until slightly proud and you have what looks like a pure metal or glass strip in the split. Make sure that you seal the wood round with sealer of something fist as the glue can stain the wood.
Not the beast image but this is an example with brass

Pete

Maca:
That looks good.  Do you have vendor info for the materials you use?

fuzzyturns:
Pete's advice is probably best for small cracks like these, as the thin super glue will penetrate nicely into the cracks. For bigger cracks and voids you can make a mixture of epoxy resin and metal powder. This should be about 2/3 powder and 1/3 resin (which has to be pre-mixed first!) to give a thick paste, which can then be pressed into the cracks/voids.
There is a fine balance between getting a paste that will fill the voids, i.e. not too thick, and getting a decent metallic surface (which requires a high metal powder content). Pretty much any decent epoxy resin will do the trick, and since you are using a metal powder, the colour of the resin is not important.
There are also epoxy resins available that are clear and can be mixed with colours to achieve a different effect. Google is your friend, but be prepared to spend around £50 for a decent kit.

bodrighywood:
I get my metal powders from here and the frit or glass powders from here. Being a bit of a skinflint, kf the split is quite wide or deep I fill it part way with sanding dust (I keep bottles of that handy as well LOL) and top up with the megtal or glass. Personally I have never been able to get a good metallic or glass like finish using resin or epoxy though as Fuzzy says some manage OK.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version