General Category > General Discussion

Help desperately needed

(1/9) > >>

Newbster:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to forum and really looking forward to starting back into woodturning as I come close to retirement.
My problem is this, I bought a Viking 750 lathe 2nd hand and for the life of me I can not find the make anywhere to know where to get spare parts.

The headstock is locked on solid as I want to put on a chuck instead of what you can see in the photo but it won't move or unscrew at all. Tried heating it, giving it a belt of a hammer but nothing will budge it.

At this stage any suggestions would be greatly welcomed as it looks like I'm going to need to replace the whole spindle and disassemble the pully system.

Ianparkin:
To remove the drive centre move the toolrest close to the tommy bar that you have in the spindle to that locks the spindle
Then use as big a pair of stitlsons as you can find and turn the drive centre adapter anti-clockwise as you look at it
A bit of warmth may help too

Newbster:
many thanks for the reply.

Did exactly as you suggested Ian and got nowhere. I also ended up knocking the hole on the drive centre out of shape as you can see in the photo. There was a lot of rust on this from sitting up but I think at this stage the two have become one but I don't know where I would get another spindle for this machine as I can't even identify the make anywhere?

Ianparkin:
If you can take the spindle out you could then put it in a substantial vice and repeat the stihlson attack
If all fails I can make you a spindle with whatever thread you want on the end

Newbster:
thanks again Ian, I'll certainly try that and the fact that you can fabricate the piece if we strip the thread is a lot of comfort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version