General Category > General Discussion

Help desperately needed

<< < (3/9) > >>

Paul Hannaby:
Another suggestion - when you use stilsons or mole grips to unscrew, attach them near the end of the drive so you avoid compressing threads you are trying to undo. when attached and ready to go, give the handle a good clout in the anti-clockwise direction to break the joint.

Derek:
I am going to suggest something that may seem very strange to some people. Take two hammers hold the head of one under the part and then give the top a sharp tap from the opposite side rotate the shaft 1/4 of a turn, do this a number of times around the circumference tapping every time you turn it. This may help to shock anything like rust and free up the thread.
I use to do this when I was a plant mechanic.
By using two hammers there is less likely to damage the part. I say a sharp tap no need to belt the living daylights out of it.

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Paul Hannaby on December 10, 2019, 04:27:18 PM ---Another suggestion - when you use stilsons or mole grips to unscrew, attach them near the end of the drive so you avoid compressing threads you are trying to undo. when attached and ready to go, give the handle a good clout in the anti-clockwise direction to break the joint.

--- End quote ---

Paul would I be right in saying that the consensus is that this should be expected to come off? I'd feel like a right dingbat if the whole unit turned out to be a solid piece of metal. It's a mighty lathe as she is and I'd be concerned about knocking her out of true if I come at it too hard. Which I've already done as you can see from one of the holes.

Simon above thanks for that suggestion. I scored two parallel grooves either side to give the Stilson some purchase and she's still slipping like Bambi and won't even budge with a strap wrench. But it's looking like a new mandrel job at this stage which I was hoping to avoid.

Newbster:

--- Quote from: Wood spinner on December 09, 2019, 09:15:33 PM ---Is it a left or right hand thread ? ???

--- End quote ---

That's a divil of a question. I don't know is the honest answer but I'm working on leveraging anti-clockwise on this based on all of the replies and if it ends up that I'm only tightening it well I'll just have to live with the carnage.

burywoodturners:

--- Quote from: Derek on December 10, 2019, 05:38:55 PM ---I am going to suggest something that may seem very strange to some people. Take two hammers hold the head of one under the part and then give the top a sharp tap from the opposite side rotate the shaft 1/4 of a turn, do this a number of times around the circumference tapping every time you turn it. This may help to shock anything like rust and free up the thread.
I use to do this when I was a plant mechanic.
By using two hammers there is less likely to damage the part. I say a sharp tap no need to belt the living daylights out of it.

--- End quote ---
Notstrange to me, make the hammer you are using as the anvil, bigger thn the one you are hitting with. And keep going!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version