General Category > General Discussion

Dust extraction re-route

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I think it is worth doing, many years ago, struggling to get the top off of a box of talc to unblock it, I dropped the whole box on the carpet.When hoovering it up I was surprised at the amount of static that was generated but also the heat on the suction pipe. So although generally shavings are not as fine as the dustI would still imagine the static building up. Incidentally, it is an industry standard not to mix shavings and dust.
You system looks good Paul, don't worry about having bits left over, that always happens to me when I fix the car and it is still running!

Paul Hannaby:
I just use the extractor for sanding dust and sawdust from the bandsaw. The shavings are shovelled up and disposed of separately.

Twisted Trees:
I am sure that the static will be inside the plastic so tape along the outside won't dispose of it. I would think you need to get conduction through the bit where the dust is moving.

One solution I saw was tape along the outside with short self tapping screws every 18" or so to give conductors in the pipe.

Paul Hannaby:
The static charge would be distributed throughout the plastic and as I'm sure you know, it is impossible to earth an insulator so it probably doesn't make much difference where the conductor is situated!
On the mk1 system dust was collecting on the outside of the pipes and on the walls next to the pipes so it will be interesting to compare what difference an external conductive tape has on the dust build up, which is probably a reasonable indication of static charge. Maybe not entirely scientific but close enough!

Twisted Trees:
I did look into static in the planning stage, but as Galv 125mm pipe was cheaper than plastic I went that route and stopped looking! mixed opinions out there.

Personally I think the sometimes quoted explosion risk is more for finer products (like talcum powder) the "static cling" is more of a problem for woodwork. I would tape it just to make the walls look cleaner!

My system now extracts direct to a garden waste recycling bin which the council takes away for me so it is dust and shavings in there, and occasionally some bits of plant stuff from the actual garden!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version