General Category > General Discussion

Anybody there?

<< < (2/7) > >>

michaelb:
Yes , still social distancing but sadly little turning,  firstly the list of jobs that were on the list to do " when I get time " I have been informed by the enforcer you now have time, so very very difficult to refuse , as I do like her cooking .

When I get back into the turning it will be practising threading as one of the jobs was tidying up the wood store and found about 15 nice pieces of boxwood that had been hiding under a pile of strawberry wood that I was given, that was wet and forgotten about and unfortunately split badly,  some of the boxwood I had dated in 2015  and some 5ins in diameter.

Sadly the exhibition I was involved with in May and a 2 day demonstration have rightly been cancelled and it looks like very little craft shows will be taking place in the summer,  so sitting on a fair bit of stock probably like most craft turners ..

Duncan A:

--- Quote from: GBF on April 03, 2020, 09:13:22 PM ---If you are really bored you can look at my Blog wwwartistry-in-ood.blogspot.com I am part way through making an Ash Coffee Table.I have done a WIP on it no turning involved but you might find it interesting
If you look back through the history there is a lot of info on all sorts of things going back about ten years or more.
If you find it interesting let me know

Regards George

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the reminder George, lots of inspiration there, and a lot of work gone into putting up the blog.
TDuncan

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on April 03, 2020, 08:58:02 PM ---what's there to talk about????

i can only talk about what i know and as soon as i start mentioning species of timber and all their properties or where they come from peoples eyes start to glaze over.

everyone would be asleep in minutes...

--- End quote ---

Not true Steve your knowledge is an invaluable part of the forum, e.g. what is this piece? I only know it was an old blank that has been on top of the high rack and it has been there since before I replaced my ladder with a shorter one which is about 10 years... needed it today so balanced the ladder against something flimsy and climbed to the top! the label was a piece of white paper with any trace of ink long since disappeared!

GBF:

--- Quote from: Duncan A on April 03, 2020, 10:51:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: GBF on April 03, 2020, 09:13:22 PM ---If you are really bored you can look at my Blog wwwartistry-in-ood.blogspot.com I am part way through making an Ash Coffee Table.I have done a WIP on it no turning involved but you might find it interesting
If you look back through the history there is a lot of info on all sorts of things going back about ten years or more.
If you find it interesting let me know

Regards George

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the reminder George, lots of inspiration there, and a lot of work gone into putting up the blog.
TDuncan

--- End quote ---

Thank you Duncan

Regards George

Woodcrafts:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 03, 2020, 08:38:26 PM ---".... I don't want to make much my competition entry for the club monthly competition for March is sitting sadly on the dining table at the moment wondering if the club will happen again in this uncertain world, and if it does will Chris post the same criteria or is it to be a forgotten piece destined for the back of a cupboard forgotten and unloved!..."

--- End quote ---
Hi Twisted Trees, an idea for your club competitions. Our club is getting members to post pictures of their entries, which are then sent to all the club members for voting. I know it's not the same as seeing a piece for real, but it maintains a bit of social contact, as well as giving us some projects to do.

Now I am wondering if that coulc be expanded to encompass everyone on here? Could we get a category setup "Covid competition" and get someone to set a project for the month? Members then post two pictures during the month and at the end we all vote on them. That's the tricky bit; how to count the votes. Anyone got any suggestions.?

Keep making shavings, and just think, keeping yourself in your workshop is probably the best form of self-isolation out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version