General Category > General Discussion

Hinge or Knuckle

(1/2) > >>

TonyLid:
Hi Everybody,
Fingers crossed that you may know the answer.

My daughter (bless her) has asked me to make this kitchen towel holder for her.  The turning is easy, what's getting me is the hinge thingy or should I say knuckle.  That's my problem there, I don't know what it's called or where to get it.

The top part of the post rotates from a straight position, that is for sliding the roll on & off, to an angled position, that is for ease of carrying.  See pic.

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

Twisted Trees:
OK so have only thought about this not prototyped it or anything...

Make the unit in 4 parts with mortice and tenon joints between post and joint and joint to top.

Joint drill a 4mm hole right through the centre of the dowel to take a small bolt, drill into each end for the bolt head / nut you could make a ball and socket joint, but as movement will only be on one plane that is probably overkill. just round off the end of one piece on a disk sander and cut a 4mm slot to allow the bolt to pivot. Cut a cup into the second piece this one needs to be a full round socket so it can be twisted as well as pivot put the nut into the hole (tight fit or glue etc.) screw the 2 halves together until tight enough to give movement without falling over. tenon on the ends to hide the mechanism...

Complex, but would probably work!

Failing that just put a screw cap on a straight post! much easier...

seventhdevil:

--- Quote from: TonyLid on April 21, 2020, 12:15:57 PM ---Hi Everybody,

My daughter (bless her) has asked me to make this kitchen towel holder for her.  The turning is easy, what's getting me is the hinge thingy or should I say knuckle.  That's my problem there, I don't know what it's called or where to get it.

The top part of the post rotates from a straight position, that is for sliding the roll on & off, to an angled position, that is for ease of carrying.  See pic.

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

--- End quote ---

what's wrong with a knob???

burywoodturners:

--- Quote from: seventhdevil on April 21, 2020, 02:56:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: TonyLid on April 21, 2020, 12:15:57 PM ---Hi Everybody,

Hoping you can help.
Stay save & healthy
Tony Lidington

--- End quote ---

what's wrong with a knob???

--- End quote ---
Come on,he is trying to please his daughter!
Ron

Willie:
Hi Tony

When I saw your post thought it might be similar to joints in handrails but could only come up with something like TT suggested. I'll keep pondering. :)

I've got a daughter as well.......

Willie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version