General Category > General Discussion

Problems sharpening spindle gouge

<< < (2/2)

julcle:
Hi Scott  --  I presume that you have been through the Robert Sorby Video
Pro-Edge Hints and Tips Martin Saben-Smith also did an online demo of the pro-edge a week or so ago but not sure if it's available on his site yet or still on youTube. Can't say that I have ever had a problem with it though. As said the 240g is all I use to keep it sharp once the shape is set.
Julian

Redwill:
Hi.     Been using the pro edge for many years, Think it is a great bit of kit.    I use the Vee block for standard profile gouges and the finger nail attachment for that profile. Mine is an early model which has only the single hole in the boss - the bit the arm inserts into and fits on the bar.  For the  fingernail profile I use it on the factory set 120 deg's with 240 grit - (120 grit Zirconium for my HSS gouges) for maintaining the  edge      Works  very well providing regular touch up is done to keep tool sharp.    I had to do a bit of experimenting to get the right amount of protrusion thro the profile arm clamp as at first I was struggling against ending up with a too pointed tip on my spindle gouges.  Once there I made a very simple but invaluable aid for each of my gouges to ensure repeatability.  A block of wood with a series of holes drilled to the size and carefully to the depth equal to the protrusion thro the tool clamp.   Easy - tool into clamp -bring face to the block tighten all set to sharpen,      My only regret is as much as I have tried I have not mastered the art of free hand sharpening on a wheel.  If I had I would have a slow speed grinder on my bench for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version