Author Topic: Has anyone turned wall lamps?  (Read 2580 times)

parishpete

Has anyone turned wall lamps?
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:15:12 PM »
I need to make a set of four wall lamps for myself to replace the rough hewn oak ones presently in place.

I was going to revamp them slightly because part was mahogany and I want all oak.  I thought better to start afresh.

What I want to avoid is twisting the wiring with a screw in lampholder.  Is there a push in version?

Does anyone have a foolproof design?

All help welcome

Pete

Andy Coates

Re: Has anyone turned wall lamps?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
There was a project years ago on Woodturning magazine, but I can't remember when. Perhaps an email to Paul Loseby requesting a copy of his Woodturning index might help? If you find the issue I can probably scan it for you.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Most lamp holders will work as the bit that screws onto the turned piece can be separated from the rest of the holder and screwed on to the wood.   The cable is then fed through and connected to the lamp holder.   This part is then pushed into the bottom half and a screw ring put in place to hold it together.

This doesnt sound very clear I will put a picture up later.

john

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
Just been out to the workshop to photograph a holder and had a look at a plastic one and I see what the problem is with these and I cant see any way of using these without twisting the wire unless the hole is straight and you can turn the wire as you screw the holder together.

But if you buy a metal holder as below it is a different matter, this is the type I always use.

These come apart as can be seen in the picture below.

So you fix the nipple (1), to the top of the piece then screw the bottom part (2) onto that.

You then thread your wire through the lamp and connect it to the black bit (3) which just pushes into the previous piece (2)

The top piece (4) then fits over the black bit and the ring that is on it screws onto the bottom part.

Finally the loose ring (5) goes on to hold the lampshade on.

I hope that is clear if not let me know.

john

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

Away round not twisting the wire on assemble that I found, was to twist the holder anti-clockwise first, then when the holder is screwed into place the cable should un-wind back straight, it may take to count how many turns first it takes to screw the fitting on and as said pre-wind anti-clock by that number of turns, however few turns your out it would be less stress on the cable, wires and fitting.

The brass fitting is straight forward, the one thing I'd need not say ...  it must always be earthed.

Cheers     David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

parishpete

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  As soon as saw the pix I realised that I'd forgotten how the lamp fittings went together.

Senior moment!!!

Regards Pete.