General Category > General Discussion

Lathe reinforcement (Denford viceory)

<< < (2/2)

RichardS:
It looks like the assembly is original and therfore well teste.

I agree with the previous query are you sure it is not the wooden structure that is flexing? I would have expected a Lathe of this size and obvious weight tobe bolted down on a concrete slab probably at least 200mm thick perhaps more.

Tgc:
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I enjoy these threads, not least because I read lots of older threads that are still full of helpful ideas.

I'm confident that the plinth is  not flexing, however, the levelling feet that I have mounted do have flex, so that needs changing.. I've also added 50kg to the plinth to see if more weight helps, alas no.

The concrete slab sounds like an excellent idea, I can't find anywhere to purchase them so I'm left with two options: pour a concrete slab, or attach the lathe to the concrete floor. I'd rather avoid the latter due to concerns over the bolts cracking the concrete due to vibration (unfounded?) but how on earth do you level a concrete slab?

*EDIT : as long as the floor isn't hideously lumpy, would a rubber sheet be enough to ensure good slab to the floor contact?

Tgc:
As an update: the feet have been replaced (photo below). The old ones were flexing an awful lot it turns out!

General operation is much improved. Major wobbling only occurs with out of round blanks - unfortunately those are the peices I enjoy turning! Looking at the wobble on the ground level, it looks as if the lathe itself is tilting rather than flexing.

So: cheapest way of adding lots of mass in a confined space. Steel plate? Lead?

Lazurus:
Sand oil mix in plastic (thick) bags and fill up as much as possible in the casings

Willie:
Hi Tgc

I have a Denford the same as yours, I have it bolted directly to my workshops concrete floor, with no problems turning anything out of balance. Before I fixed it down it did give a bit of vibration.

I use it at its original height, but think if you raise it and bolt it to a good concrete base, you should be ok.

Cheers
Willie :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version