Author Topic: Odd bits  (Read 954 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Odd bits
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
Two unusual items:-

1 - a moon model that I intend to build into a long case clock once I have the mechanism - the idea being that the half-blackwood half-boxwood 'moon' will rotate once a lunar month, which I think could be nicer (& more realistic!) than the traditional painted disk lunar display.  A helpful person has put online the Lego gears needed to get the 29.5 days from the hour shaft. I will need to see if I can get the friction low enough (note the ball bearings on the moon shaft) & I am waiting for a couple of necessary gears.  The moon model is on a spare 7mm brass tube from a pen kit, enabling it to be made on a mandrel.  All the same as any of you who have tried it will know it requires care to get a convincing sphere, even from the correct axis length and diameter cylinder!

2 - a piece made for a now-cancelled club competition specifying a 'figurine'.  I have chosen to copy an art deco figure - the arms, legs and head are turned - the torso is also but with a good deal of mostly hand sanded finishing.  Not as good as the bronze originals!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Odd bits
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
Ypu lost me with the moon bit LOL. Inderstand turning the sphere and that's it. Like the fact that you made a 'figurine' without resorting to the usual offcentre female turning that crops up usually.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:40:46 PM »
Pete - thanks!  And the moon model is meant to represent the lit and unlit sides of the moon that we take a rotating view of once a month - hence the moon phases (obviously this requires that you view the model from the front!). A lunar 'month'  is in fact about 29.5 days and it is tricky to get the moon model to rotate at this rate with gears from the hour hand shaft that rotates twice a day (especially with the limited set available in Lego).  I attach a pic showing a crescent moon that may be clearer!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »
What I particularly like but was probably not by design, the grain pattern on the figures torso actually reflect the muscle structure of a person in the same pose, it really does bring it to life for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!