General Category > General Discussion

Resin casting

<< < (2/2)

Twisted Trees:

--- Quote from: crazylegs on May 18, 2020, 05:15:25 PM ---what about this ?
https://www.ecopoxy.com/

--- End quote ---

Problem with that it seems the Eco only appears as the first 3 letters of a brand name the product is Methylethylidene Phenyleneoxymethylene and Bisoxirane none of which I have any knowledge of! If it smells like Cherry and doesn't litter my workshop with environmentally hazardous material (note it says clothing worn while using it can't leave the work place!) then I may give it a go, having Eco in the name may just mean it is cheaper per gallon.

Not knocking those who like turning plastic, and as I said before I am told it sells well, but I choose not to.

Robin Goodman:
Quite recently I have tried a more user friendly resin that is odour free, non-toxic and available in UK, see https://www.elichem.co.uk/art-resins.  Available in several different versions, I tried the self levelling version, which is not so versatile for 3D woodturning, but I think can be used to good effect.  See photos ( if I can get them to load properly this time)

Bryan Milham:
Robin, well I think it's safe to say that they are loud on the eyes but I do like the second image a lot.

Thank you for the link

Les Symonds:
I'm with you 90%. If small pieces of burr can be salvaged for pens etc, then fine, but who in their right mind would pay thousands for a river-of-resin dinig table in which the timber is going to move (inevitably) whilst the resin is going to remain static (inevitably)....the result is inevitable!

....and don't get me started on those ruddy things made out of resin embedded colouring pencils....you take a raw product (the pencil) which likely comes from the far east and has traveled half way around the world, you flood it with a synthetic polyester-based resin and when it's all gone hard, you turn 90% of it into shavings that end up as landfill. Madness!

Les

bodrighywood:
You not keen on resin then Les LOL? Have to admit i agree with you. I am a WOOD turner though I admit to turning the odd bit of metal now and then and using other materials such as glass

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version