General Category > General Discussion

Plagiarism

<< < (7/8) > >>

Bill21:
It does beg a question, do the materials used make a difference? If you copy a clay vase and decorate it to the same effect does being made of wood excuse you? I’d say not. Not sure why anyone would mind you but there are a few wood turners that so completely hide the wood under paint I wonder why they don’t take up ceramics instead.  ::)

bodrighywood:
'cos the cost of having the equipment and somewhere to have a kiln would be way beyouond many of us. I always said of I couldn't be a turner I'd love to be a potter.  I agree about the level of colouring that some people do though it is very much a personal thing.

Pete

Lazurus:
HAs anyone any actually experiance of any one being convicted of plagiarism in the turning community? Be if professional or hobby, always debated as a hot topic but I certainly unable to find any cases, and the cost of a private prosecution would surely out weigh any recompence.

bodrighywood:
I doubt any turners pro or hobby could actually afford to go to court. The point is surely to try and educate people to have a moral and ethical attitude to copying. I do know of furniture designers for example who have gone to court over design rights and won so it could theoretically happen.

Pete

Lazurus:
Your right Pete, it is more of an issues of peoples morals and values, if I copy someones style and say it mine, I feel thats ok, if i copy someone and try to pass as theirs that is fraudulent and immoral. It is difficult to come up with new and innovatve ideas sometimes, I for one need an inspiration at times and admire anyone who can start from scratch with a unique piece.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version