General Category > General Discussion

Noob needs help!

(1/10) > >>

yogavenger:
Hi,

I have my grandad's old wood lathe – looks like this one. https://sumra.net/p/2040107000/3866394

I have a chuck and plate but they fit the other end of the lathe – not the turning power end. That end just has a sharp spindle.

I have some bowl blanks. My question is how can I mount it? I can't use the chuck the power end?! So how can I turn and – at some point – have access to make the recess inside the bowl?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Matt

(can you point me to any videos, pls? I've looked but I can't see any).

bodrighywood:
Hi and welcome. Have you got some photos of the lathe etc? Might help as what ypu are saying seems very odd.

Pete

yogavenger:
LOL, that's perfectly possible, Pete. I am complete new and may be talking utter rubbish!  :)

Here are some shots from the Lathe.

yogavenger:
From videos I've seen: I want to <attach> the blank to the spindle, shape the outside, clamp in the chuck and reverse, then do the interior. With this fixed head on the power end, I don't see how to do that. I can't use the chuck except on the other (non powered) end?!

yogavenger:
I think the sticking bit for me, is how to do the interior? Unless I glue it to some waste wood on the spindle? Maybe shape the interior, then reverse, and clean up any damage made to the interior by that spindle when inserted into it.

Not sure. As I said, complete novice!

It looks to me like this lather – a Naerok – is okay if you want to do spindle work with the grain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version