General Category > General Discussion

Noob needs help!

<< < (7/10) > >>

Lazurus:
A 3/8 or 10mm bowl gouge will cover a lot of jobs large and small, you need a decent way to sharpen repeatable grinds to, less time sharpening and more time turning. It is very difficult to set up a hobby like turning on a very small budget, but most purchases if made wisely will last a lifetime, this is why there are often some bargains to be had in the second hand market.

yogavenger:
Thanks guys. Man, I'm a bit confused now. Might try getting a 3/8" bowl gouge and see how I go. I have a grinder which I can use to sharpen the tools. Although someone suggested using a stone as the grinder takes too much off but that seems a little slow – less time to actually turn anything.

I can't do much at the mo' as my freelance work (furloughed, atm) has gone a bit crazy and it's my eldest's birthday party (ZOOM) which is a Harry Potter theme and I'm sorting all the stuff for that.

Maybe next week.

I will look at the 3/8" BG though. And do I need a roughing gouge, for really uneven or blocky things?

BTW, thank you all for helping. And the chap offering to flog an old set. I will PM you now, just to see want you want for it.

bodrighywood:
 You only ever use a roughing gouge on spindle work never on face plate work such as bowls, platters etc. Using the grinder can be viscious if it only has harsh stones.You need a white stone at least. Also once the tool has been shaped ideally just touch it up every now and then as yopu work no need to go back to they grinder unless you leave too long a bgap between touching up or need to reshape it.

Pete

John Plater:
Yogavenger, be very careful. It is accepted generally that a roughing gouge should be called a spindle roughing gouge as it should only be used on spindle work ie stuff turned between centres or aligned with the centre line of the lathe. The construction and shaping of the spindle roughing gouge renders it unsuitable for faceplate work such as bowls or platters which are turned perpendicular to the centre line of the lathe. If a blank of timber for a bowl for instance, is too "uneven or blocky" it is best to work the piece to make it more balanced before switching the lathe on. A decent handsaw can be used to remove unwanted material though more labour intensive than a bandsaw or powered hand tools. The important thing is it makes the subsequent turning safer and potentially more enjoyable ! I turn lots of unbalanced pieces using my "go to" 3/8 bowl turning gouge.
ATB John

Wood spinner:
Hi , Send me a PM ( Personal message ) with your name and address and I will post you a 3/8 bowl gouge FOC

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version