General Category > General Discussion

Noob needs help!

<< < (9/10) > >>

Bill21:

--- Quote from: John Plater on July 11, 2020, 09:19:41 AM ---Quote, "I think I will continue to watch videos and see if I can mimic instances from those videos on my lathe and work. "
Videos produced by reputable professional woodturners are a great way to learn. be very wary of online materials though. There is a lot of poor practice being shown and the problem comes in deciding what is good and what is not so good. Classic chicken and egg. The woodturner needs a certain amount of experience to know what is good safe practice and what isn't. in order to gain that experience .......
ATB John

--- End quote ---

I once watched a video by Jimmy Clewes with him wearing a ring whilst wood turning. Bad practice from an experienced turner.

yogavenger:
Thank you, everyone.

Even I remembered to take my ring off before I turned my first bowl. :)

My grandad never wore one.

Wood spinner:
Posted today , I put a fresh 45 degree edge on it for you as well

yogavenger:
Look what arrived! :) (And what's the best way to maintain that edge because it's awesome!). And you can tell it's proper – it has a real weight to the steel. I'm actually worried about my other tools now. I think they must be complete rubbish!

And I will PM you: I owe you cash, sir. I cannot accept this, it's too much. (but appreciated!).

M

yogavenger:
LOL, I daren't use it! I don't want to blunt the edge!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version