General Category > General Discussion

How to give wood a burnt look

(1/2) > >>

wtmu:
Does anybody know how to give wood a burnt look ? This guide looks quite in depth, but I need some advice from you, is it worth to burnt wood by myself or I should buy burnt wood products instead?

Wood spinner:
Hi , I think you need to give more info on what you intend making before advice can be given

wtmu:
A stacked ring bowl

bodrighywood:
Just use a burner, small things can be done with a little cooks torch. Practice on a piece of the same wood before you do the real thing to see how much you need to char it. If you go the full Shou Sugi Ban treatment you will see flames coming off it at some points. The best effects are with soft woods such as cedar or chestnut or open grain woods like oak or ash. After burning give it a good going over with a brass wire brush then seal.  Needless to say (I hope) do it outside not in the workshop.

Pete

burywoodturners:
pete has good advice, especially the bit about doing it out doors, away from a dried up lawn as well!
i use an electric paint stripper, safer than a flame and readily available in a DIY shed near you, just takes a bit longer.
Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version