General Category > General Discussion

A cider Press

(1/4) > >>

burywoodturners:
I have had some odd requests as a woodturner and one of the oddest was to make a drum for a cider press. I was sent some decent photo's but I soon decided that a closer look was needed. The request came from someone nearby so I went to look at it. It turned out to be a 100 year old apple slicer/crusher amd a monster,

We got the part off, we took the bands off and it fell off!, and after some checking it turned out to be elm.

So where  do I find the elm to make a 12"long by 10" dia, to create a replace ment, the roller was made in two parts so two pieces 12" by6" should be ok.
Hopefully someone will have some, or suggest a suitable replacement.
Let me know if you can help with either some wood or a suggestion.
Before you ask, no I am not banging in the nails!
Ron

bodrighywood:
Finding elm that size nowadays coud be a problem. Would beech or sycamore be of use? You don't want a wood with tannin like oak as that would react with the acid in the fruit

Pete

Twisted Trees:
I would agree with Pete, it was probably only Elm as up until the 1970's if you wanted a large piece of timber Elm was plentiful and easily available. I would be inclined to add Maple to the list, doubt that many timbers available now will last 100 years soaked in apple juice, but that just makes work for another turner in 50 years or so...

Derek:

--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on August 15, 2020, 01:38:45 AM ---I would agree with Pete, it was probably only Elm as up until the 1970's if you wanted a large piece of timber Elm was plentiful and easily available. I would be inclined to add Maple to the list, doubt that many timbers available now will last 100 years soaked in apple juice, but that just makes work for another turner in 50 years or so...

--- End quote ---

Could chestnut be a suitable timber not sure how much tannin is in that unlike Oak

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: Derek on August 15, 2020, 09:27:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: Twisted Trees on August 15, 2020, 01:38:45 AM ---I would agree with Pete, it was probably only Elm as up until the 1970's if you wanted a large piece of timber Elm was plentiful and easily available. I would be inclined to add Maple to the list, doubt that many timbers available now will last 100 years soaked in apple juice, but that just makes work for another turner in 50 years or so...

--- End quote ---

Could chestnut be a suitable timber not sure how much tannin is in that unlike Oak

--- End quote ---
Chestnut used to be used in the tanning of leather so I would imagine it is pretty high.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version